First Firing

Our first firing went pretty well, considering all the possible things that could have gone wrong. I stacked it a bit too tight so the top was underfired and Linda's cups looked bad. But the first and second shelves were pretty good so we got some information from the tiles. Some nice possibilities from the Show Stopper Glaze Base as well as the Strontium Base.

The good news is that the 1" - 1 1/2" castable held up and it went up to temperature pretty fast.

I used some old bricks as stilts and some melted a bit. I think we can correct things in the next firing by only loading 2 shelves and using a larger post in the bottom. We may also use a bit more soda.

So I will fire again next week while it is fresh in my mind (a.k.a before I forget what to change).

Now I have to rest from really fun and interesting but exhausting Glaze Workshop.

John Britt
http://www.johnbrittpottery.com/wks.htm
http://penlandpottery.com/pages/home.php
http://ncclayclub.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. Congratulations on the firing. That kiln is sure sweet looking!
    I would think you should be able to load it that high if you allow as much space between the upper shelves and the kiln walls, as you have with the bottom shelves.
    I have a feeling you'll use that little beauty often for tests and refires.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. June,

    We will have to get you over to check out our tests. Thanks for all your help and it was really fun to see you and get a taxi ride from Jim.

    See you soon,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,

    I'm eager to see the tests. Let me know when it's a good time to come over.

    If you want, I can make some tests for the next firing. I have a bunch of recipes I want to batch up and my test tiles are already thrown, so I just need a day to mix and apply.


    Till later,
    June

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam. May take a while to see them posted.

Popular Posts