Cone 6 Oxidation to Reduction


Since settling into the Craven's old place, I'm eagerly making the return to the cone 10 reduction glazes of my college years. For the past 8 or so years, I've been firing electric to cone 6. I really like the cone 6 clay body I use for my garden pots, and their size limits me to one per glaze fire (they must be on the top shelf). Obviously I can fire many more at once in the gas kiln, and although I know I can still fire oxidation, I'm somewhat addicted to reduction firing. However, I'm in unchartered territory when it comes to reduction at cone 6. My base glaze is a Ca Mg B Val Cushing glaze, V.C. "72" which is pretty interesting in oxidation. I'm willing to take a chance, but I'd hate to screw up an entire load if this is something I should avoid. Any thoughts? Does anyone even do reduction at cone 6?


Kari

Comments

  1. You should look at John Britt's article in last months Ceramic Monthly -- all on ^6 reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that sounds good--thanks for this helpful thread

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam. May take a while to see them posted.

Popular Posts