Stain and Wax Technique

Here is another sample of a technique we did at the Glaze Techniques Workshop. This is the stain with wax and applied with a brush. (From Michael Kline who does it much better, and did a demo at the Clay Club July 2010.)

I then poured on a shino and sprinkled dry wood ash and reduction fired to cone 10.

I added stain and frit to Michael's recipe (or at least what I thought was his recipe.) I thought it looked better on our light stoneware and in a non-atmospheric firing.

 Kline’s Black Wax (rev.)
2/3 cup Mobil Wax
1 part Red Iron Oxide (½ tsp.)
½ part Cobalt Carbonate (¼tsp.)
½ part Manganese Dioxide (¼tsp.)
1 part Black Stain (½ tsp.)
1 part Frit 3110 (½ tsp.)

Comments

  1. Black Wax...hmmmm now that's something I have not done. Hi John Enjoy your posts and use your book ALL the time.
    Hugs
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, remember that Aftosa sells already made up black wax. Nelle informed us of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. john, any words on food safety for this black wax? at cone 6? at cone 04? tanks, ronan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronan,

    Definitely not food safe. For that you may want more of a black glaze with wax.

    You could do a soft bisque and then apply a thin liner glaze?!

    Kline's is probably more toward the food safe as he salts and then the slips get a coating of sodium oxide. I think he also fires hot (cone 12??) But I can't say as I don't know how he works (exactly)

    But I would use it more for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where does one get mobil wax?
    JoAnn Axford

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE get it at Highwater, but just try waxes you have. I love Aftosa wax.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam. May take a while to see them posted.

Popular Posts