Kick Ass Bread Recipe




Check out the easy bread recipe for baking losers (like me). No kneeding or fussing.




Alan’s Bread Recipe (New York Times Recipe)

3 cups of unbleached bread flour

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

1 5/8 cups water

2 teaspoons kosher salt


Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon of yeast, and water in a large bowl. Stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let bowl rest at least 12 hours, preferably 18 hours, at room temperature (70°F).



After the 18 hour first rise, punch down with a wooden spoon. Place in a greased metal loaf pan. Let rise for 2 more hours keeping the pan covered with another loaf pan inverted onto the top of the bottom pan.


Bake bread for 30 minutes at 450° F with the lid on and then continue for another 15 minutes with the lid off.


Slather on Peanut Butter and ummm, ummm good!


John Britt

Comments

  1. This is a great recipe. I've been experimenting with a caraway rye bread using a variation of it. I use 2/3 c rye flour and 2 1/3 white flower. I add 3 t caraway. I'm glad your sharing this recipe, because it's an easy one to make. I usually make my batch before I go to bed and finish it during lunch the next day. We have a fresh loaf every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    I will try your rye.

    It is great if you time it well. NO WORK!

    Wow.

    Any other secrets to share?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I add a little more water with the whole grain, up to 2 cups. I've used 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups white, but the bread is to crumbly. Same with the rye. seems like more than 2/3 c gets it into crumbly-land. but maybe you like crumby?

    With rye, you might want to briefly roast your caraway on a cast iron skillet. Brings out some of the complexities of this fine fruit! Yes caraway is actually considered a fruit, don't ask me why it's called seed!

    Akvavit and several liqueurs are also made with caraway. In one of the short stories in Dubliners by James Joyce, a character eats caraway fruits to mask the alcohol on his breath.

    Anything else, just google!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,

    I've lost over 60 lbs. in less than a year. Have been on a low carb regime since April, so I have given up most bread. But have been baking my own low-carb bread using soy flour, rye flour, oat flour and wheat gluten. Pretty good.

    I also like Japanese pancakes, Okinomiyaki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki It is a savory egg pancake. As kids, we used to call it "Japanese pizza." I make it with soy flour, oat flour and a little wheat gluten and extra eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lee,

    I may have to try that,

    John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated to prevent spam. May take a while to see them posted.

Popular Posts